Are you tired of your pesky ex, nosy boss, or overbearing relative constantly snooping on your Snapchat stories?
Are you tired of your nosy co-worker constantly creeping on your Snapchat story? Or perhaps your acquaintances who just can’t seem to keep their virtual hands off your social media activity.
Fear not, for I have a solution that will allow you to keep your Snapchat stories private from specific individuals without resorting to the nuclear option of blocking them.
By utilizing the little-known “Custom Story” feature, you can hand-pick the select few who are worthy of seeing your snaps and spare the rest from the indignity of being left out.
In this blog post, I will guide you through the simple steps of creating a Custom Story and explain how to add and remove friends from it with aplomb.
So without further ado, let’s dive into the enigmatic world of Custom Stories and learn how to hide Snapchat stories from those we’d rather not share them with.
How to Stop Someone From Seeing your Snapchat Story without blocking them (Android and iPhone)
First, let’s define our terms. A Snapchat story is a collection of Snaps that are visible to your friends for 24 hours. You can add Snaps to your story by swiping up from the camera screen and selecting “Add to Your Story.”
When someone views your story, they can see all the Snaps that you’ve added to it in chronological order.
Any of the methods below can help you hide your Snapchat story without blocking them.
1. Option 1: Select Who Can View Your Snapchat Story
Snapchat allows you to restrict the view of your stories to only your friends or a custom audience. To dictate who can view your Snapchat story, follow these simple steps:
- After opening your Snapchat app, tap on the profile or the bitmoji icon in the upper left corner.
- At the “My Stories” tab, tap on the three dots in the “Add to My Story” button.
- Select “Story Settings” from the menu that next appears.
- Next, you can decide who can see your stories. Choose between “Everyone,” “Friends Only” or “Custom.”
If you choose “Friends Only” or “Custom,” then it implies that you have hidden your subsequent Snapchat stories from the general public and limited their visibility to only your Snapchat friends or those in the custom audience.
2. Option 2: Hide Your Snapchat Stories From Certain People
To hide your Snapchat story view from specific people, you have to use set the story visibility to custom and deselect those individuals.
Here’s a step-by-step approach to hiding your Snapchat stories using this method:
- Launch the Snapchat app either on Android or iPhone.
- Tap on the profile or the bitmoji icon in the upper left corner.
- In the “My Stories” section, tap on the three dots in the “Add to My Story” button.
- Tap “Story Settings” from the menu that next appears.
- Under the “Who can View My Story” tab, tap on “Custom.”
- On the “Custom Privacy settings” page, select by tapping on the names of your friends who you do not want to see your Snapchat stories.
- Tap on “Block” to effect the changes. Note that this step does not block your friends. It only precludes them from seeing the new snaps you add to your Snapchat story. This means all other people on your friends’ list can see and view your stories.
3. Option 3: Post a Private Snapchat Story
This option is effective when you want to select a few people to view a Snapchat story as of the time you’re publishing it.
- Visit your profile by tapping on the bitmoji icon at the top left.
- Tap on “New Story” located in the “My Stories” section.
- Proceed to tap on “New Private Story” as your story type.
- Tap to select only the names of your friends to whom you want to view the story you’re about to post.
- Tap on the “Create Story” button.
After creating this story, it will be visible only to those you selected and no other people.
How to Hide a Snapchat Story from Everyone Except One Person
You may be wondering: How do I make sure only one person sees my Snapchat story? Or maybe, this is your wish: “I only want one person to see my Snapchat story.”
While Snapchat provides users with the ability to share their stories with a wide audience, there may be times when you want to hide your story from everyone except one person. Here’s how you can do it:
- Open Snapchat and tap on your profile icon in the top left corner of the screen.
- Tap on “New Story” situated in the “My Stories” tab.
- Tap on “New Private Story” as the story type.
- Tap to select only the name of the one person you want to view the story you’re about to post.
- Tap on the “Create Story” button.
Your story will now be hidden from everyone except for the one person you selected. By following the above steps, you can easily hide your Snapchat story from everyone except for a specific person.
This can be a useful feature if you want to share something personal or intimate with just one person, or if you want to keep your story private for any other reason. If you want to entirely block someone from seeing your Snapchat story without them knowing, then check out this article.
Can you hide your Snapchat Story from One Person?
Yes, you can hide your Snapchat story from just one person. This can be helpful when you want to preclude that person alone from seeing what you post on Snapchat. Follow the steps below to hide your Snapchat story view from one particular person.
How to Hide Snapchat Story From One Person
Hiding your Snapchat stories from just one person will enable every other person to view your stories except this person in question.
To hide your Snapchat story from only one person:
- Tap on the profile icon or the Bitmoji icon to access your Snapchat profile.
- Scroll down to the “Friends” tab and tap on “My Friends.”
- Tap on the name of the person you want to hide your story from.
- At the top left corner, tap on the profile icon or image of the person or on their name.
- On their profile page, tap on the three dots at the top right corner.
- Tap “Privacy Settings” from the menu that appears.
- By default, all your Snapchat friends can view your profile. Change this by turning off the toggle so that it switches from green to grey.
How to know if Someone hides their story from you on Snapchat
We’ve taken a detailed look at how to hide your stories from someone on Snapchat. Conversely, there are instances where you are the victim – others have hidden their story from you on Snapchat.
It can be frustrating and confusing to feel left out, especially if you thought you had a close relationship with this person. But fear not, there are a few telltale signs that can help you determine if someone is purposely excluding you from their Snapchat story.
First and foremost, pay attention to their overall activity on the app. If they frequently post stories but you never seem to see them, it could be a sign that they’ve blocked you from viewing them. You can also check to see if they have a private account, as only their approved friends will be able to view their stories.
It’s also worth considering if there have been any recent conflicts or misunderstandings between the two of you. If so, it’s possible that they’re hiding their story as a way to cut off communication or avoid further conflict.
If you’re still unsure, it never hurts to ask! You can send a message or bring it up in person and ask if they’ve blocked you from viewing their stories. It may be an uncomfortable conversation, but it’s better to address any issues head-on rather than continuing to feel left out or in the dark.